Friday, November 4, 2011

Negative Quiddity: Abysmal Rock and Roll

Some of the Very Worst Rock and Roll Songs Ever
Title
"Artist"
Year
The TwistChubby Checker
1960
Lucy in the Sky with DiamondsWilliam Shatner
1968
Breaking Up Is Hard to DoNeil Sadaka
1962
Somewhere (pop not rock) Barbra Streisand
1985
You're Having My BabyPaul Anka
1974
My Daddy Is President*Jo Ann Morse
1962
My Heart Will Go On (pop) Celine Dion
1998
Little Deuce CoupeThe Beach Boys
1963
It's My PartyLeslie Gore
1964
Sugar, SugarThe Archies
1969
MassachusettsThe BeeGees
1967
Dead Man's CurveJan and Dean
1963
The HustleVan McCoy
1975
Share the Landthe Guess Who
1970
Boogie Oogie OogieA Taste of Honey
1978
Blue Christmas Elvis Presley
1958
Travelin' ManRicky Nelson
1960
CherishThe Association
1966
Brand New KeyMelanie
1971
Jingle Bell RockBobby Helms
1957
You Light Up My LifeDebbi Boone
1977
Thank God I'm a Country BoyJohn Denver
1974
Car WashRose Royce
1977
Power of LoveHuey Lewis and the News
1985
Walk Like an EgyptianThe Bangles
1986
Baby I Love Your WayPeter Frampton
1976
-- from the "Frampton Comes Alive" LP
* This song is so bad it has to be heard to be believed -- Jo Ann Morse is pretending to be Caroline Kennedy -- www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGUFsgGprYE

2 comments:

  1. Although i agree with your list, some of them definitely have humorous value and are enjoyable for this reason, such as the Bill Shatner cover of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and The Archies Sugar Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a long and honorable tradition of goofy "novelty" songs from "Mairsy Doats" to "Living la Vida Loca." Some of the songs on my list above ARE funny, but I am guessing it is unintentional humor. This can be and should be mined for laughs -- on a related note -- I'm glad Beavis and Butthead have been brought back to make us laugh at the current crop of unintentionally funny videos.

    ReplyDelete