Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Accounting Profession


A fellow American Certified Public Accountant posted this on “Facebook” today:

A message to young people who are thinking of being public accountants and that sort of thing. Something you should know. Accountants/auditors are despised almost as much as lawyers. Very early on you will find yourself between a Bull$hitter and the truth.

Problem for you is that you are in the spot of proving them wrong. Like a lawyer you cannot afford to take almost anything at face value. Should you do so you will at some point be a scapegoat or accused of being inco...mpetent. And by being an accountant you have joined the group that cannot ever say "I didn't know."

It is your job "to know". That is why, in my old age, I will prepare taxes for some friends for free, but will never sign those returns or accept money. The IRS/DOR will come after me if a person does not give me all the information . It was my job to know. Oh, and another thing, you won't be liked. You are coming between unscrupulous people if you do your job. BTW, there are more accountants in witness protection programs than there are hitmen in those same programs. I have just recently learned that wherever you are, that you will never escape being an accountant.

You will be accused of being untrusting, cynical. No, you won't be liked, unless you are corrupt or incompetent and can be manipulated. They would never want me to teach accounting because the class would clear out after the first session. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment